John D. Nellor
Attorney At Law
John (J.D.) Nellor was admitted to practice law in the State of Washington in 1979. He is also admitted to the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington (1979), the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington (1997), the United States Tax Court (1993) and the United States Court Of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1985).
J.D. currently focuses his practice on small businesses, reorganizations, bankruptcy litigation, and dispute resolution through mediation, arbitration and negotiation. He has served as a Rule 39.1 neutral for the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington and the Honorable Thomas T. Glover Mediation Program for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Washington.
He is experienced with all forms of business matters, including business startups, planning, organization and reorganization, limited liability companies, corporations and partnerships. He serves as General Counsel to several small businesses. He also understands the difficulties individuals and small businesses face when unseen financial crisis strike, and has extensive experience with Chapter 7, Chapter 13 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, state court receiverships, and formal and informal extensions, compositions and workkouts.
Born and raised in Vancouver, Washington, J.D. attended Harney Elementary School, McLoughlin Junior High School (“Mac Hi”), Hudsons Bay High School and Clark College (A.A. 1971). He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Portland (B.A. cum laude 1973), and his legal education from the University of Tulsa, College of Law (J.D. 1978). He was admitted to the Order of Barristers, a national award for excellence in oral advocacy, while in law school.
J.D. is a member of the Washington State Bar Asociation, the Federal Bar Association for the Western District of Washington and the Clark County Bar Association (Board of Trustees, 2010–2015, Treasurer 2011–2015; Bench Bar Committee, 1991–1993; Web and Technology Committee, 2006–2014).
He routinely volunteers his services for clients of the Clark County Volunteer Lawyers Program and provided a free advice clinic to students at Clark College, in Vancouver, Washington, for more than 25 years.
An active member of his community, J.D.’s current involvement includes:
- The Pacific Foundation For Blind Children, a charitable organization dedicated to broadening and enhancing educational and employment opportunities for persons who are blind or visually impaired. Board of Trustees, July 1995 to present (President 1995–2005, Chairman of the Board 2005–2009).
- Interservice Walk And Knock for Clark County, Washington, one of the largest one–day food drives in the United States. Area Captain, 1995 to present.
- The Vancouver Lions Club, Vancouver, Washington, 1990 to present. President, July, 1998 to July, 1999 and July 2006 to July 2007; Secretary, July, 1996 to July, 1997, July, 2010 to July, 2012; Treasurer, July 1992 to July, 1995; Director, July, 1999 to July, 2012. Lion of the Year, 1993–94, 1994–95, 1997–98, 2001–02, 2002–03, 2004–05 and 2010–11; Melvin Jones Fellowship, International Association of Lions Clubs, 2007.
- Lions Clubs International, District 19G. District Governor, July, 2015–July, 2016, 1st Vice District Governor, July, 2014–July, 2015, 2nd Vice District Governor, July, 2013–July, 2014, Zone Chairperson 19G-2, July, 2011–July, 2012; Associate Zone Chairperson 19G-2, July, 2010–July, 2011; Retention Coordinator, July, 2012–July, 2013; Global Leadership Team Facilitator, July, 2013–July, 2014, Club Support Team and Global Membershp Team Facilitator, July, 2014–July, 2015. He is also a graduate of the Advanced Lions Leadership Institute (March, 2014), a member of the Multiple District 19 Faculty Development Institute, and a Certified Guiding Lion.
- International Association of Lions Clubs, Multiple District 19. Centennial Coordinator, U.S. Clubs, 2016 to present; Parliamentarian, Council of Governors, July, 1998 to July, 1999.
In previous years J.D. has donated time to the:
- Clark County Home Builders Association (Board of Directors, 1982–1985).
- Clark County Young Lawyers Association (President, 1982–1983).
A frequent participant in continuing legal education programs, J.D. has authored the several publications, including:
- Family Law Issues In Bankruptcy, Clark County Bar Association, May, 1996
- Family Law Issues In Bankruptcy, Clark County Bar Association, co–authored with Randall Stewart, June, 2000
- Satisfying Buyers Of Assets: A Summary Of Successor Liability In Washington, Washington State Bar Association, July, 2001
- Advising The Business In Distress, Washington State Bar Association, February, 2003
- Judicial Foreclosures, Sales, And Redemptions, Washington State Bar Association, July, 2003
J.D.’s reported cases include:
- In re Baby Girl K, 26 Wn. App. 897 (1980)
- In re Steffen, 181 B.R. 981 (W.D. Wn. 1995)